Casa do Campo de São Francisco was built by chief-sergeant José Caetano da Costa in the first half of the 18th Century.
The adjacent chapel, existing since 1634, was then reconstructed and integrated into the eighteenth-century facade of Casa do Campo de São Francisco.
Since its construction, Casa do Campo de São Francisco, has not only been a residential building but has had other functions, such as the first headquarters of the Micaelense Assembly.
The house has been in the family of the current owners since the mid 19th Century, when it was bought by the 2nd Visconde das Laranjeiras, Manuel de Medeiros da Costa Araújo e Albuquerque.
Since 1984, it is classified as ‘Patrimony of Public Interest’.
Casa do Campo de São Francisco offers its guests several leisure areas. A large drawing room provides moments of relaxation and entertainment as well as various reading areas in different parts of the house.
There is also a breakfast room and a small garden for guests to enjoy.
Campo de Sao Francisco is a large square in the historic center of the city of Ponta Delgada, the capital of São Miguel island in the Azores.
Its name is due to the fact that it is facing the former convent of São Francisco, whose construction began in 1525. Adjacent to the convent, a primitive Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Our Lady) was built in 1709. In 1714, after undergoing expansion works, this church became known as Igreja de São José (St. Joseph Church). In 1834, after the departure of the Franciscan Religious Order, the Convent started to be used as a hospital.
Convento da Esperança (Hope Convent) borders the north of the square. Built around 1535 by Fernão de Quental and completed in 1545, it was the first convent to have nuns in Ponta Delgada. In this convent is the statue of Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres, offered to the nuns in the 16th Century by Pope Clement VII. The convent has the largest and richest collection of jewels in the Azores.
The south of the square is bordered by Forte de São Brás (Fort of São Brás) and by the seaside promenade (Avenida Marginal).
On the east side of the square, Cristóvão de Matos Quental built the chapel of Nossa Senhora da Ressurreição (Our Lady of the Resurrection) in around 1609. This chapel was rebuilt and integrated in Casa do Campo de São Francisco when it was built in the early 18th Century.
In this square, one of the most important religious festivals of the country is held. The festivities, in honor of Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres (Holy Christ of Miracles), take place every year on the 5th Sunday after Easter.
The procession of Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres is the highlight of these festivities. This tradition dates back to a period when earthquakes and tremors plagued the island. On 11th April 1700, a strong earthquake occurred during the first procession when the figure fell from the platform as it was paraded through the streets, yet miraculously, did not break. As a result of this event coinciding with the decrease in violent seismic activity on the island of São Miguel, the figure became known as Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres (Holy Christ of Miracles).
For centuries, Campo de São Francisco Square has been the setting for major festivities.
In the late 18th Century, one of the most important historical celebrations, lasting for several days, took place here to commemorate the birth of Princess Dona Maria Teresa, born eight years after the marriage of King D. João VI to Dona Carlota Joaquina.
In March 1871, there was a public subscription to embellish the square, illuminate it with oil lamps and provide it with a bandstand in the center. The bandstand, a lightweight wooden construction in the shape of a Chinese pagoda, was opened on the 12th May 1871. This beautiful bandstand was destroyed by a fire in 1957. It was replaced years later by the current cement structure, far from the grace and delicacy of the original.
Out of curiosity, it was in this square that Antero de Quental, one of the greatest Azorean writers and poets, committed suicide in 1891 on a park bench near Convento da Esperança (Convent of Our Lady of Hope), where a memorial was later placed.
Nowadays, the square is the setting for many more festivities and events, besides the religious celebrations of Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres. These include public festivities and shows throughout the year organized by the municipal council of Ponta Delgada as part of many events in the city, the religious celebrations of Divino Espírito Santo (the Holy Spirit), public concerts by philharmonic bands and folklore exhibitions amongst others.